Welcome:

Here you will find the somewhat random musings of a pediatrician in Watkinsville, Georgia. Some of my posts will involve medical topics, some political (maybe), and some spiritual. I will probably throw in an occasional comment about UGA athletics, or some other sports-related topic, as well.

Your comments are invited.

Rhinos

Rhinos
Walking with Rhinos

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Masters - 2010

Well, it was good to see one of the good guys, Phil Mickelson, win the Masters again.  I have watched the tournament for each of the last 30 years, at least, and I think I have enjoyed seeing  Mickelson win this year more than I have enjoyed anyone else winning the famed green jacket. 

I have witnessed many great performances over the years.  Nicklaus's  fifth win in 1986 and his run at a sixth in 1998 come immediately to mind.  Tiger's first victory in 1997, a symbolic victory against prejudice in the golf world, ranks among the great tournaments I have watched.  Phil's first title at the National in 2004, forever removing the stigma of being the best golfer never to win a major, was also one of the most memorable performances in Masters' history.  For an Augusta native, seeing Larry Mize win the playoff in 1987 with a miraculous chip-in is one of the great highlights, as well.

To add to the drama of an already enthralling 2010 tournament, Mickelson's wife and mother have been battling breast cancer (I will come back to my hatred for cancer at a later date).  His wife, who was sick most of the week, was unable to attend any of the tournament until Sunday afternoon, a day on which Phil started one stroke down and finished with a 67 and a three stroke victory.  Although the slow-motion tear coverage by CBS was a little much, Phil is a guy who clearly loves his wife, and that was a good thing to see, given that the focus of much of the week was on a guy who had been unfaithful to his own wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment